Slip Into Something Victorian

Home » Uncategorized » Victorian Slang of the Week

Victorian Slang of the Week

Volume 1, A-G, J.E.Lighter Editor

Volume 1, A-G, J.E.Lighter Editor

Flummadiddle: So I was looking up a slang word for a friend who was talking about it on facebook–flummery–when I found this.  I have never heard of this word, and I have never, sadly, used it.  It is apparently flummery and diddle put together.  It means Foolishness, foolish items and was used mostly in the 19th century.  Used in a sentence:  “He gave us all sorts of directions on how to mend that fence, but we knew it was all just so much flummadiddle, and we didn’t do a single thing he said.”



  1. Never heard that one either!

  2. […] Victorian Slang of the Week | Slip Into Something Victorian. For such days as you need another word for “foolish,” may I suggest “flummadiddle”? Actually, may I just suggest you find any and all excuses to work this word into your daily conversations? […]

  3. There were probably lots of words that haven’t survived except maybe in families. what about flapdoodle and others.

  4. Denise Eagan says:

    I’m sure there are, Barb! I bet there are a lot of words we thought were made up by our families, but weren’t. I’ve recently learned that my mother’s “don’t give me any of your flak” was most likely referring to WWII. I’d never heard it from anybody else, so I thought it was just my mother.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: