Slip Into Something Victorian

Home » Uncategorized » Victorian Slang of the Week

Victorian Slang of the Week


Barker—a pistol or revolver, sometimes big gun or artillery piece—1814 and on. It doesn’t seem to be used in the West in cowboy terms, although of course the West was populated by Easterners, so it may have moved out that way and changed for other words.  It may have started as “barking iron”.  Regardless, it was used pretty much throughout the century.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: